Whole Roasted Cabbage
Roasted cabbage for all using nature’s Alkaline Way! It’s savory, sweet, and salty on the outside and super tender on the inside. Topped with lots of silky mushroom gravy, we doubt anyone at your table will be missing meat.
Swap out butter for vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), fermented cashew butter, or forgo the butter completely by using a vegetable broth. Serve along with sweet potatoes, yams and green beans or asparagus for a primo feast.
2 HOUR DURATION
30 MIN PREP TIME; 90 MIN COOK TIME
YIELD 6 SERVINGS
Photo Credit: Delish.com
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Cut stem off cabbage so it can sit flat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together melted nut butter (or broth), mustard, berry compote, gluten-free soy or Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and season liberally with Celtic Sea salt and fresh ground peppercorns.
- In a large bowl, combine celery, carrots, onion, 1 Tbsp of the vegetable broth, and chopped herbs. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Place vegetable mixture in a large, oven-safe skillet. Nestle cabbage in the center, on top of the vegetables, and sprinkle/brush on half of the mixture from Step 2 above. Pour 1/4 cup vegetable broth into the bottom of the skillet and cover cabbage. Bake for 45 minutes at 400o F.
- When 45 minutes have passed, remove top and brush with remaining mixture from Step 2. Add remaining 1/2 cup broth and bake until cabbage is tender and slightly charred, about 45 minutes more. (Pierce cabbage with a paring knife to check if it’s ready.)
- Meanwhile, prepare gravy:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt nut butter (or use broth). Add onion and cook, stirring until soft, about 6 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and herbs and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft and golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in chickpea/garbanzo powder and cook 1 minute, then whisk in 3 cups of broth and bring mixture to a brief boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until mixture has thickened to your desired consistency, about 5 minutes. (Add more broth if desired.) Stir in gluten-free soy or Worcestershire sauce, and season gravy to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice cabbage into large wedges, cut out the tough inner stem, and serve with gravy. Garnish with parsley and serve.